Saturday, June 8, 2013

Looking beyond the Limits

Yes, Cargan has some physical limitations and yes, we were aware of his needs from the beginning. . He as limited use of his left side but this does not stop this precious boy. The Lord has laid it on my heart to just put this out there. Before we went to China we were told people would stare at us because we were Americans and we did get those stares but we also got a lot of stares that appeared to be stares of confusion and then disgust because we were a mixed family. Once they would see Cargan walk the looks only worsened. It broke my heart to be in a country that does not value life, precious children and especially anyone gifted with a physical need. The hardest part of the entire trip for me was walking down to dinner the first night in GZ and seeing a crippled man lying in the middle of the sidewalk. As we walked by he looked at Cargan and smiled. All I could think of was that could have been my son one day. I was overwhelmed with thankfulness that I was holding his hand and he was a part of our family forever.
Now that we are home, I realize from some questions being asked that many of you are not aware of his physical gifts. Yes, I said gifts. He is an amazing boy who has been given a gift to teach him determination and that he has. We really did not say too much because that has never been what stood out to us about our son and didn’t realize it would be such an issue to others to be their first questions. So yes, we did know from the beginning he had limited use of his left side and we will be seeing doctors here to see how much help he may be able to receive. He is our gift from God and we love him just the way he is. If he is able to grow and strengthen by the Lords guidance to doctors and physical therapy, than we are thankful for that help. I have learned so much on this adoption journey looking at face after face of precious children that are looked over because they have what we call “special needs” after praying continually for these children and spending time with other families in China, I can only tell you it is pure joy as the parent to be blessed with a child that is so special. I have always taught my children that every person has something they struggle with in their life some you can see and some you can not. We need to love others for who they are not what they look like or how they behave because we have no idea what they may be dealing with. We need to encourage people to grow in Christ through their difficulties to be strengthened by an almighty God who can help each of us through anything. I can not wait for Cargan to learn about a God who has loved him from the beginning of time and I hope he will see that love through others here.
PS: please know I am not upset by the questions but just realized people were not expecting what they saw because they had not heard about his needs so wanted to fill people in.

No comments:

Post a Comment